Sunday, October 11, 2009

Rule of Thirds....by example

My goal was to highlight the tree in relation to the rest of the cemetery. In the first shot, I centered the tree like we all grew up doing....I think we did it that way because with film cameras, there was no "delete" button....we only got one chance to capture the subject. Put it in the middle of the viewfinder and we were more likely to get it. Not very artisitc...but effective.

In an effort to bring a little more life to the shot, I changed my angle a little and allowed the expanse of the area to show up a little more. By moving the tree over the left third of the photo, I've created a much larger scene.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, great example of the rule of thirds. The second photo sets the scene so much better... seems to give us more of a feel of the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXACTLY!!! Nice...

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!